There are many ways to build in long-term savings and energy benefits when planning your next remodel. Just a few changes to a remodeling plan can lower energy bills and make your home healthier and more comfortable. Here are some simple and inexpensive ways to make a project more cost-efficient from the start.
- Insulate around recessed lights. Recessed lights can be the cause of a substantial amount of conditioned air leakage into your attic. Be sure to insulate around recessed lights to increase air quality and comfort, and lower utility bills.
- Consider alternative lighting. Before opting for windows, think about less expensive ways of capturing light. A sun tube installed in the ceiling can provide ample lighting in areas such as hallways and bathrooms for less than the cost of a window. You also retain the energy lost to drafty windows.
- Invest in building materials that last. Take durability and weatherability into account when selecting building materials to get maximum value. Marc Sloot, senior associate at SALA Architects, selected LP® SmartSide® engineered wood siding for the Minneapolis Net Zero Victorian due to its proven durability. “Given that Minneapolis can have harsher weathers than many other areas, I wanted to make sure I was using a product I felt confident would last and was made of materials that were engineered to stand up against more severe weather,” explains Sloot.
- Prefinish now, paint less later. If you’re adding siding, save more by purchasing a pre-primed and prefinished product like LP SmartSide siding. Factory finishes are applied under controlled conditions so they last longer, saving money on paint jobs down the road. If you purchase prefinished LP SmartSide siding, LP SmartSide Preferred Prefinishers also back the paint finish with a minimum 15-year warranty.
- Consider the warranty. When a manufacturer is confident in its product, it is willing to back it with a generous warranty. For homeowners that live in areas with extreme weather conditions, taking building material warranties into consideration can provide additional peace of mind.
Find an LP® BuildSmart™ Preferred Contractor
For more information on using LP SmartSide products for your next home remodeling project, find an LP BuildSmart™ Preferred Contractor in your area.